The FreeBSD team has just announce the release of FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE. This is the first release of new major version 12.
Some of the highlights:
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 1.1.1a (LTS).
- Unbound has been updated to version 1.8.1, and DANE-TA has been enabled by default.
- OpenSSH has been updated to version 7.8p1.
- Additonal capsicum(4) support has been added to sshd(8).
- Clang, LLVM, LLD, LLDB, compiler-rt and libc++ has been updated to version 6.0.1.
- The vt(4) Terminus BSD Console font has been updated to version 4.46.
- The bsdinstall(8) utility now supports UEFI+GELI as an installation option.
- The VIMAGE kernel configuration option has been enabled by default.
- The NUMA option has been enabled by default in the amd64 GENERIC and MINIMAL kernel configurations.
- The netdump(4) driver has been added, providing a facility through which kernel crash dumps can be transmitted to a remote host after a system panic.
- The vt(4) driver has been updated with performance improvements, drawing text at rates ranging from 2- to 6-times faster.
- Various improvements to graphics support for current generation hardware.
- Support for capsicum(4) has been enabled on armv6 and armv7 by default.
- The UFS/FFS filesystem has been updated to consolidate TRIM/BIO_DELETE commands, reducing read/write requests due to fewer TRIM messages being sent simultaneously.
- The NFS version 4.1 server has been updated to include pNFS server support.
- The pf(4) packet filter is now usable within a jail(8) using vnet(9).
- The bhyve(8) utility has been updated to add NVMe device emulation.
- The bhyve(8) utility is now able to be run within a jail(8).
- Various Lua loader(8) improvements.
- KDE has been updated to version 5.12.5.
- And more…
You can find the full release notes at: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.0R/relnotes.html